Never Miss a Headline!

Meltdown alert at Japan reactor

Updated On: 15 March, 2011 07:09 AM IST | Agencies

Engineers race to cool down a third reactor at a quake-stricken Japanese nuclear plant, after a second blast rocks the facility

Engineers race to cool down a third reactor at a quake-stricken Japanese nuclear plant, after a second blast rocks the facility

Japan was yesterday battling to stop a nuclear meltdown after a second blast inside the stricken Fukushima nuclear plant.

Tokyo Electric Power Company said 11 workers were injured and seven were missing after the hydrogen explosion in the No.3 reactor.


The destruction of homes and buildings following the tsunami and earthquake, which wiped out an entire town. Survivors bundled up at a gymnasium in Sumita after being evacuated owing to the blasts


Officials also warned of a risk of a radioactive leak yesterday when fuel rods in the No. 2 reactor of the plant were briefly exposed.

The cooling system, which usually covers the nuclear rods had broken as a result of the earthquake.

The plant's operators pumped seawater into the reactor but the rods became exposed after the pump's fuel ran out.

A cooling system breakdown occurred just before the explosions at the plant's No. 3 and No. 1 reactors yesterday and Sunday.

The power company played down any health risk, saying thick containment walls shielding the reactor cores were still intact.

People within a 12-mile radius were ordered inside following the explosion in the No.3 reactor, which was felt 30 miles away.

Japan's chief cabinet secretary Yukio Edano said the core container at the reactor was intact and the fresh blast was unlikely to have led to a large escape of radioactivity.

It came as the country braced itself for a second quake nightmare with a mega aftershock likely to hit at any moment.

Japan's world-renowned centre for earthquake prediction said there was a seven-in-ten chance of a tremor with a magnitude of seven or more hitting "within the next three days".

The alert was issued as millions in the hi-tech superpower spent a fourth day without food, water or electricity.
u00a0
Police have so far confirmed that 1,597 people have died in the quake but rescue teams claim to have found 2,000 bodies in the Miyagi region alone.

Tweet controversy
Rapper 50 Cent stunned some Twitter followers when his Tweets mocked the earthquake and tsunami victims in Japan. The situation. "Look this is very serious people I had to evacuate all my hoe's from LA, Hawaii and Japan. I had to do it. Lol," he tweeted.

Movie screening stalled
Clint Eastwood's latest movie Hereafter has been removed from cinemas in Japan because of its "inappropriate" tsunami scenes. The movie about the lives of three people during a Tsunami was pulled. Warner Entertainment, Japan, Satoru Otani has confirmed cinemas will no longer screen the film because several scenes are "not appropriate" at this time.

Trending Stories

Skand Thakur: We have to prove ourselves even for a one-minute role

India thrash Japan 5-1 in Asian Champions Trophy

"The rise of ...": Khawaja feels this has boosted Australia to defeat India

Murali worried about Test cricket’s future

"The kind of cricket Bangladesh have played is impressive": Shubman Gill

Apple iPhone 16 launch: Know the features, prices and availability in India

Up and about: Bye bye Bappa!

Have you heard? Powerful combo

Latest Web Stories

Kim Kardashian turns into a soccer mom

1 years ago

5 reasons Sargun Mehta is a boss lady!

1 years ago

Aadar and Alekha's loved-up pics

1 years ago

Ananya Panday with her late dog Fudge

1 years ago

Latest Photos

06 August, 2026 08:34 PM IST | In Photos: Hiroshima Day Silent Peace March 2026

Preshit Deorukhkar

17 December, 2025 11:56 AM IST | IN PHOTOS: MLAs at Vidhan Bhavan during Maharashtra Legislative Council polls

Asif Ali Sayed

09 September, 2024 09:32 PM IST | IN PHOTOS: People in Mumbai celebrate Gauri Puja during Ganeshotsav

Asif Ali Sayed

09 September, 2024 09:13 PM IST | IN PHOTOS: Mumbai witnesses sunny weather as rains take a break

Asif Ali Sayed

Latest Videos

Imran Khan To LEAVE JAIL In 48 Hours | Pakistan Supreme Court Issues BIG ORDER Over Health Concerns

Odisha Flood Crisis: Rivers SWALLOW Villages, 3.3 Lakh Evacuated, 9.4 Lakh Hit As Rain Batters State

Ayodhya Ram Mandir Donation Theft: Champat Rai Walks Free, Eight Remain Accused

“US Needs Voter ID Like India” Trump PRAISES India's Elections As SAVE America Act Push Intensifies

Israeli Drones POUND Khan Younis in Gaza, October 7 Commander Killed | Gaza Truce Faces Fresh Test

Mid-day Fast

Entertainment

Deepika & Ranveer's daughter is boon to her parents, predicts astrologer

Lifestyle

The art of accessorising traditional attire for Ganesh Chaturthi

Entertainment

IC 814 actor Rajiv Thakur shares, 'Maine toh real hijack...'

Latest Headlines

23 August, 2026 09:06 AM IST | mid-day online correspondent

19 August, 2026 11:50 AM IST | Test Tushar

Kindly mail us your feedback

Follow Us:

Home

Photos

E-Paper

Videos

MD Fast