Why ban Sanatan Sanstha, asks Centre
Updated On: 12 July, 2016 07:14 AM IST | Vinay Dalvi
While the state government had recommended a ban be imposed on the right-wing organisation, it failed to provide any reasons for the action
The Union government on Monday told the High Court that though the state government had written to it for banning right-wing organisation Sanatan Sanstha, it had failed to explain why a ban must be imposed. The HC was hearing a petition filed in 2011 by Vijay Rokade, a resident of Raigad, which demanded a ban on the organisation for its involvement in several blast cases.

In April 2011, the state government had written to the Union Ministry of Home Affairs about Sanatan Sanstha’s alleged involvement in the Malegaon blasts of 2006 and 2008 and the Goa blast in 2009. File pic
Appearing for the Centre on Monday, GR Sharma told the bench of Justice Shantanu Kemkar and Justice Makarand Karnik that no “reason” had been provided to ban Sanatan Sanstha. He said, “We have written to the state government several times asking for an explanation, but they couldn’t offer any evidence or reason for imposing a ban on the organisation or its allied wings.”
As JD Khairnar, the counsel for the petitioner, was not present in the court, the hearing has been adjourned to next week. If evidence is provided, the Centre will have to send the proposal to the Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Tribunal, which will take a call on banning the organization.
ADVERTISEMENT
Poll
Who will win the Punjab Elections?
Terrorist outfit
In April 2011, the state government — then run by Congress and NCP — had written to the Union Ministry of Home Affairs about Sanatan Sanstha’s alleged involvement in the Malegaon blasts of 2006 and 2008 and the Goa blast in 2009.
The Chief Secretary of State had addressed the letter to the Centre after Maharashtra Anti-Terrorism Squad wrote to him asking for the organisation to be declared a terrorist outfit under Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act. Accordingly, Rokade filed the Public Interest Litigation.
Trending Stories
Latest Web Stories
Latest Photos
06 August, 2026 08:34 PM IST | In Photos: Hiroshima Day Silent Peace March 2026
Preshit Deorukhkar
17 December, 2025 11:56 AM IST | IN PHOTOS: MLAs at Vidhan Bhavan during Maharashtra Legislative Council polls
Asif Ali Sayed
09 September, 2024 09:32 PM IST | IN PHOTOS: People in Mumbai celebrate Gauri Puja during Ganeshotsav
Asif Ali Sayed
09 September, 2024 09:13 PM IST | IN PHOTOS: Mumbai witnesses sunny weather as rains take a break
Asif Ali Sayed
Latest Videos
ADVERTISEMENT
Mid-day Fast
Latest Headlines
19 August, 2026 11:50 AM IST | Test Tushar
12 August, 2026 07:33 PM IST | Oshin Fernandes
10 August, 2026 11:49 AM IST | Makepeace Sitlhou
06 August, 2026 08:34 PM IST | Preshit Deorukhkar