JD(S) MLA HD Revanna gets interim bail in sexual harassment case
Updated On: 17 May, 2024 04:02 PM IST | mid-day online correspondent
Revanna was given bail until Friday, shortly after receiving conditional bail earlier this week in a related kidnapping case involving an obscene video scandal
Prajwal Revanna. File Pic
Janata Dal (Secular) MLA and former Karnataka Minister HD Revanna was granted interim bail in a sexual harassment case on Thursday by a Bengaluru court, reported news agency ANI.
Revanna was given bail until Friday, shortly after receiving conditional bail earlier this week in a related kidnapping case involving an obscene video scandal.
The 42nd Additional Chief Metropolitan Magistrate Court (ACMM) has announced that Revanna's primary bail plea will be heard on Friday at 3 p.m.
The Special Investigation Team (SIT) argued against Revanna's bail request, while SP Jayna Kothari sought his judicial detention. However, Revanna's lawyer, Arun, said that the case is bailable.
ADVERTISEMENT
Poll
Who will win the Punjab Elections?
Revanna submitted the bail application following an FIR charging him with sexual harassment. The SIT objected, arguing that the FIR contained rape claims. The defence argued that the charges were against Prajwal, Revanna's son, not HD Revanna.
The Special Public Prosecutor (SPP) noted that Revanna had not cooperated with the inquiry and demanded that he be returned to judicial custody. The judge questioned why custody was required if Revanna was recalcitrant.
An SIT is investigating Revanna and his son for sexual harassment and criminal intimidation after receiving a complaint from a woman employed in their household.
Previously, on May 14, Revanna was released from Parappana Agrahara Jail after being granted conditional bail in the kidnapping case, with a bond set at Rs 5 lakh. He was initially arrested on May 4 by SIT officials in connection with the case registered at the KR Nagar police station.
(With inputs from ANI)
SIT probing allegations of coercion
The Special Investigation Team (SIT) probing the alleged multiple instances of sexual abuse by Hassan MP Prajwal Revanna has initiated an inquiry to identify those who allegedly called a woman and “forced” her to register a “fake complaint” against the JD(S) leader, sources said on May 10.
The move comes after the National Commission for Women said that one woman complainant who reached out to it claimed she was forced to register a fake complaint against the 33-year-old, who is the Lok Sabha poll candidate for Hassan and the grandson of JD(S) patriarch H D Deve Gowda.
Trending Stories
Latest Web Stories
Latest Photos
06 August, 2026 08:34 PM IST | In Photos: Hiroshima Day Silent Peace March 2026
Preshit Deorukhkar
17 December, 2025 11:56 AM IST | IN PHOTOS: MLAs at Vidhan Bhavan during Maharashtra Legislative Council polls
Asif Ali Sayed
09 September, 2024 09:32 PM IST | IN PHOTOS: People in Mumbai celebrate Gauri Puja during Ganeshotsav
Asif Ali Sayed
09 September, 2024 09:13 PM IST | IN PHOTOS: Mumbai witnesses sunny weather as rains take a break
Asif Ali Sayed
Latest Videos
ADVERTISEMENT
Mid-day Fast
Latest Headlines
19 August, 2026 07:14 PM IST | Makepeace Sitlhou
19 August, 2026 11:50 AM IST | Test Tushar
12 August, 2026 07:33 PM IST | Oshin Fernandes
06 August, 2026 08:34 PM IST | Preshit Deorukhkar