SC rejects Dutt's plea to contest LS polls
Updated On: 31 March, 2009 02:36 PM IST | PTI
Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt's plea to contest the upcoming Lok Sabha elections was on Tuesday rejected by the Supreme Court which refused to stay his conviction in connection with the 1993 Mumbai blasts case.
Bollywood actor Sanjay Dutt's plea to contest the upcoming Lok Sabha elections was on Tuesday rejected by the Supreme Court which refused to stay his conviction in connection with the 1993 Mumbai blasts case.
"We are not inclined to suspend his conviction," a Bench headed by Chief Justice KG Balakrishnan said.
"It is not a fit case to grant stay of conviction," the Bench also comprising Justices P Sathasivam and RM Lodha said.
Dutt had been fielded by the Samajwadi Party as its candidate for Lucknow Lok Sabha seat.
Trending Stories
Latest Web Stories
Latest Photos
06 August, 2026 08:34 PM IST | In Photos: Hiroshima Day Silent Peace March 2026
Preshit Deorukhkar
17 December, 2025 11:56 AM IST | IN PHOTOS: MLAs at Vidhan Bhavan during Maharashtra Legislative Council polls
Asif Ali Sayed
09 September, 2024 09:32 PM IST | IN PHOTOS: People in Mumbai celebrate Gauri Puja during Ganeshotsav
Asif Ali Sayed
09 September, 2024 09:13 PM IST | IN PHOTOS: Mumbai witnesses sunny weather as rains take a break
Asif Ali Sayed
Latest Videos
ADVERTISEMENT
Mid-day Fast
Latest Headlines
20 August, 2026 09:25 PM IST | mid-day online correspondent
19 August, 2026 07:14 PM IST | Makepeace Sitlhou
19 August, 2026 11:50 AM IST | Test Tushar
12 August, 2026 07:33 PM IST | Oshin Fernandes