BMC issues demolition notice to restaurant, doesnt take action after 2 months
Updated On: 22 June, 2018 12:00 AM IST | Laxman Singh
Two months after issuing an order to demolish illegal chimney and staircase at restaurant-s Khar West branch, BMC yet to take action
The Khar West branch of Kailash Parbat is situated on the ground floor of the residential building, Lotia Palace; (right) The complainant shared these pictures of the chimney and staircase erected in the residential buildings backyard by the restaurant. P
Nearly two months have gone by since the BMC issued a demolition notice to popular north Indian restaurant, Kailash Parbat, for building violations at the Khar West branch. The civic body has since turned down the heat on the eatery, with no action yet against a chimney and staircase that were allegedly erected illegally in a residential building-s open space.
Pot, kettle, black
The Khar branch is located on the ground floor of Lotia Palace, at the junction of Linking Road and CD Marg. The complainant, Mahesh Mirchandani, once ran a shop in the same building. His shop had been demolished by the BMC a few years ago for violations. On the other hand, Mirchandani complained to the civic officials about irregularities at Kailash Parbat several times, but no action was taken there.
Demolition order
The BMC issued a notice on April 4 a copy is with mid-day, under the Mumbai Municipal Corporation MMC Act. According to it, the restaurateur constructed an illegal chimney from the ground floor, along with a staircase in the building-s backyard. Civic officials had asked the restaurant to respond within seven days. With no response from the owner, on April 27, a speaking order was issued to demolish the illegal construction, but no action took place on the ground.
Mirchandani said, "The notice was issued two months ago, but till now, there has been no action. The illegal construction is an obstruction to the movement of residents going in and out of the building. The restaurant is operating out of a residential apartment that has been leased out to restaurateur." Sharad Ughade, assistant municipal commissioner of H-West ward, said, "We have issued a notice to the restaurateur, but since the property is disputed and under the care of a court receiver, we have not taken action. I will check the status with my staff, and further action will be taken as per the law." However, Mirchandani said, "The court case is over an unrelated property dispute. It does not have any effect on the BMC-s powers to take action against the restaurant."
ADVERTISEMENT
Poll
Who will win the Punjab Elections?
-BMC notice is illegal-
Speaking to mid-day, Bharat Harwani, who runs the Kailash Parbat franchise, said, "All the allegations made by Mahesh Mirchandani are baseless and have no merit. The BMC notice issued to our restaurant is illegal, as we have done nothing wrong. I did not even receive the first notice, and directly a speaking order was passed to demolish the structure. On May 16, I replied to the order through my advocate. The property is under the care of the court receiver, who had earlier declared that there is no illegal construction." He added, "Years back, Mirchandani himself had illegally constructed a shop in the space meant for a garage at Lotia Palace. His shop was shut down by the BMC, and a case was filed against him."
Also Read: Mumbai: BMC continues demolition drive on New Years Eve, seals 30 more restaurants and bars
Catch up on all the latest Crime, National, International and Hatke news here. Also download the new mid-day Android and iOS apps to get latest updates
Trending Stories
Latest Web Stories
Latest Photos
06 August, 2026 08:34 PM IST | In Photos: Hiroshima Day Silent Peace March 2026
Preshit Deorukhkar
17 December, 2025 11:56 AM IST | IN PHOTOS: MLAs at Vidhan Bhavan during Maharashtra Legislative Council polls
Asif Ali Sayed
09 September, 2024 09:32 PM IST | IN PHOTOS: People in Mumbai celebrate Gauri Puja during Ganeshotsav
Asif Ali Sayed
09 September, 2024 09:13 PM IST | IN PHOTOS: Mumbai witnesses sunny weather as rains take a break
Asif Ali Sayed
Latest Videos
ADVERTISEMENT
Mid-day Fast
Latest Headlines
20 August, 2026 09:25 PM IST | mid-day online correspondent
19 August, 2026 07:14 PM IST | Makepeace Sitlhou
19 August, 2026 11:50 AM IST | Test Tushar
12 August, 2026 07:33 PM IST | Oshin Fernandes