'Book IAS officer for abetting suicide'
Updated On: 19 August, 2016 06:42 AM IST | Dharmendra Jore
Mantralaya employees have demanded that Bhagwan Sahai be held responsible for Rajendra Ghadge’s son’s suicide and be punished for it
Employees of Mantralaya on Thursday demanded that senior IAS officer Bhagwan Sahai, who has been blamed for the suicide of his junior officer’s 22-year-old son, be placed under suspension and booked for abetting suicide.

Bhagwan Sahai
Sahai, the additional chief secretary (agriculture), is accused of denying joint-secretary Rajendra Ghadge permission to leave office early on August 11 when his son and wife asked him to come home immediately. The depressed boy was threatening to end his life and wanted to desperately talk to his father, but Sahai allegedly turned down Ghadge’s request. “It’s your personal problem, you solve it,” the IAS officer is reported to have said. When Ghadge finally left office on his usual time, he was informed that his son had committed suicide by throwing himself on the railway tracks in Navi Mumbai.
Agriculture minister Pandurang Fundkar has now started a departmental inquiry into the matter and asked the chief minister and chief secretary to expand its scope.
ADVERTISEMENT
Poll
Who will win the Punjab Elections?
“I had been trying to reach out to Ghadge for the past four days. I called again last night and what he told me was shocking. I agree that there should be discipline in departments, but there comes a situation when HoDs need to be humane. Sahai has failed in doing this,” Fundkar told mid-day.
On Thursday, the Mantralaya employees protested against Sahai, alongside shooting off a memorandum to the CM citing habitual ill-treatment of juniors. “I don’t want to say much, but I get scared whenever Sahai calls me to his office,” said a senior woman officer. She added that Sahai was whimsical and a “sadist” who took “pleasure in troubling his juniors”.
mid-day had first asked Sahai about the allegations in a text message on August 12, but he didn’t respond. Attempts on Thursday failed yet again.
Meanwhile, CM Devendra Fadnavis has said that action will be taken after conducting a probe in the matter.
Trending Stories
Latest Web Stories
Latest Photos
06 August, 2026 08:34 PM IST | In Photos: Hiroshima Day Silent Peace March 2026
Preshit Deorukhkar
17 December, 2025 11:56 AM IST | IN PHOTOS: MLAs at Vidhan Bhavan during Maharashtra Legislative Council polls
Asif Ali Sayed
09 September, 2024 09:32 PM IST | IN PHOTOS: People in Mumbai celebrate Gauri Puja during Ganeshotsav
Asif Ali Sayed
09 September, 2024 09:13 PM IST | IN PHOTOS: Mumbai witnesses sunny weather as rains take a break
Asif Ali Sayed
Latest Videos
ADVERTISEMENT
Mid-day Fast
Latest Headlines
12 August, 2026 07:33 PM IST | Oshin Fernandes
10 August, 2026 07:17 PM IST | Test Tushar
10 August, 2026 11:49 AM IST | Makepeace Sitlhou
06 August, 2026 08:34 PM IST | Preshit Deorukhkar